The Fantasy Retreat
Wouldn’t it be great to have a retreat where:
- A solid plan was developed?
- Millions of dollars of new business opportunities were identified?
- Your lawyers thought it was a valuable use of their time?
- Difficult issues were professionally and satisfactorily addressed?
- Relationships improved and deepened?
- There was agreement to act in alignment with the firm’s strategy?
- Commitments were made to implement the plan?
- The plan was actually implemented?
- It was fun?
Turning Fantasy into Reality
When firms invest the time and money to get their lawyers together for a retreat, it MUST make a significant impact. No longer can we afford to gather just to build camaraderie and get to know each other – there must be definable outcomes that will set the stage for generating more revenue, delivering higher levels of client service, or operating more efficiently and effectively.
To that end, we can help by providing proven retreat programs that can change cultures, drive new revenue, and raise client service standards. These formats have been created by David Freeman, J.D., a veteran retreat designer, facilitator, and trainer who has worked with over 130 law firms and who understands how to engage the minds and hearts of your lawyers. You can mix and match themes as desired (see below), and the programming can include facilitated brainstorming sessions, training, experiental exercises, and client panel discussions.
During our retreats, your lawyers will roll up their sleeves and address your most important challenges, identify issues and opportunities, and jointly build plans for achieving higher levels of performance. More importantly, your lawyers will leave motivated and committed to implementing plans THEY created.
It’s All About Implementation
We recognize a retreat is much more than the event itself, so we focus on what must be done before, during, and after to make it a rousing success. Since a retreat is only as good as what occurs because of it, we guide your leaders toward taking swift action to bridge the inevitable gap between planning and effective implementation. This support can include one-on-one coaching for key leaders, as well as assistance in developing an ongoing project management process.
Depending on your firm’s needs, you can choose from programs such as:
- “Cross-Selling – Mining for Millions”
- “Building Higher Performance Organizational Habits”
- “Building on Our Strengths – Moving from Good to Great” (a facilitated strategic planning process)
- “Enhancing Our Client Service Culture”
- “Maximizing Our Culture of Business Development”
- “Developing a High-Performance Practice Groups and Teams”
- “Partners As Owners: Developing an Ownership Mindset”
We have significant experience designing and facilitating large group meetings that educate, entertain, and result in solid action plans. Our custom-designed strategic planning retreats incorporate almost two decades of best practices from law firms and corporations. Examples include developing Balanced Scorecards and incorporating principles from the book “Good to Great” during firm-wide planning retreats. Blending high performance principles into the culture of law firms is the hallmark of our work.
Our strategic planning process can get your lawyers to:
- Identify their Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT)
- Analyze market, competitive, and client research
- Uncover and prioritize top issues
- Brainstorm and decide upon practical solutions
- Build a strategic “Implementation Map” that contains:
- Actionable follow-up steps
- Timelines for implementation
Our speaking programs are more than just talk – most are interactive programs with breakout group discussions and individual action planning that give your lawyers new insights and specific steps they can take to improve their performance. The following are some of the programs we deliver:
- The Five Habits of Successful Business Development
- Secrets of the Masters: Best Practices in Business Development
- The Five Pillars of Client Service
- Revenue-Focused Leadership
- Business Development Tools and Techniques for Associates
- Roadmap for Developing a Marketing, Sales, and Service Culture in Your Firm
The following articles can give you insights into our approaches and perspectives:
- High Impact Retreats
- Sales Management for Practice Group Leaders
- The “Great” Law Firm
- Why Strategic Planning Doesn’t Work
- The High Performance Law Firm
- The Balanced Law Firm